I recently wrote a short piece about things your Trainer SHOULD be doing… Now I put together a quick DOs & DON’Ts for all you fabulous people who work with a Personal Trainer.
- Be prepared to workout
- Have on proper footwear
- Bring a bottle of water
- Leave your phone in the locker
- Ask questions if you are unsure of an exercise or expectation
- Be honest with your trainer – if the exercise or the weight selected was too easy, tell your trainer.
- Be patient if your trainer is new and gathering data, getting familiar with you.
- Do not start off a relationship with your new trainer by listing off various things you will not do… Please note I said “WILL NOT” not “CANNOT” do. Big difference here.
- Do not cancel your session last-minute and expect the trainer not to charge you. Most trainers/gyms have a 24-hour cancellation policy.
- Do not complain the entire session.
- Do not constantly compare your new trainer to an old trainer or compare your current abilities to when you were in your prime (30 years ago).
- Do not show up to your sessions with the pungent odor of alcohol oozing from your pores or the smell of greasy fast food on your breath. NOT CUTE.
- Do not even think about wearing flip-flops or Crocs to train.
- Do not wear ear buds with your phone or mp3 player during your session. You need to hear your trainer’s cues at all times.